A Thousand Trails

I have been working on proofreading a book all summer, A Thousand Trails: Personal Journal of William Cameron Townsend.



William Cameron Townsend is the founder of Wycliffe Bible Translators (No, Wycliffe is not founded by John Wycliffe). In this book, he chronicles his journey of serving in Central America with the Cakchiquel Indians, for whom he eventually translated the Bible.

Isn't it nice that my job is just to sit and read? Here's an excerpt from the book:

"In spite of the ghostly fireflies that kept me company in the bushes along the trail, I felt I was getting along quite well until I came to a place where several trails met. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong one and had to return. I then made another ill choice and would have continued in my error had I not met a couple of mozos [hired hands] who, when I asked directions, corrected me. The fireflies continued to give me a queer sensation up and down my spine, and as I was getting nearer to the place where I had made my wrong trail choice, I ran into a bunch of drunks. One of them carried a shotgun and when he spotted me, stepped up in front of me and demanded to know where I was going. I simply stepped to one side and without a word continued on my way."
- William Cameron Townsend, A Thousand Trails

What a life lesson to learn! Sometimes I get lost. Sometimes I have to stop and ask for directions. Sometimes I have to stand to be corrected. And sometimes, all I need to do is to step aside to avoid an obstacle.

Category:

0 comments:

Post a Comment