Rest and Humility

It has been a rather eventful, which explains the lack of activity on my blog.

On Monday, we went to work as usual, and then we stayed back after work to help with hosting the 190 students from Campus Outreach who came to visit the Discovery Center and to be exposed to the work of Bible translation. It was really nice to be with a group of young people who are so full of energy, and to see their reactions as they were alerted to the need for Bible translation work. I bet I was just like that during my first week here at Wycliffe. Anyway, it was an energetic night as their enthusiasm rubbed off on us.

We got home at about 11.30pm on Monday night. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the week recuperating from our fatigue.

Yesterday, I attended Wycliffe's Ladies Lunch. It was a needed break from the routine that I was falling into. Appropriately, the theme of the luncheon was REST. It was really encouraging and refreshing to hear the speaker, Wendy (she works in my department), share about our need for rest. It hit me right on the head when she said that we don't always have to do everything, and we don't always have to do everything right now. It's so easy for me to be a workaholic and to force myself to being the best in everything.

I really appreciate hearing from Wendy who works in my department. She is such a humble person. Yesterday, she led our department's devotion as well, and one thing that she shared is something that I needed to hear: "We never arrive spiritually because faith is a journey."

So often, I feel that I have become so focused on the final destination that I have let the rest of the journey pass me by, without taking any notice of anything. Yet, the learning experience is just as important as the destination, if not more. And that I something that I desperately need to learn. This whole experience at Wycliffe has been a learning experience, the journey. I have not arrived at the destination yet, and I may never. But the most important thing right now is my learning process.

What do I need for my journey? Humility.

The road ahead may be rough and bumpy. I may find myself traversing on muddy terrain. I may even be tired out by the journey. But every stretch of the road counts, and every inch of the journey offers a lesson that I can learn.

Category:

0 comments:

Post a Comment