Here for a Reason

It is no coincidence that I am where I am today. I know that God has brought me here for a reason. I have travelled half the world to attend college in Virginia, and all the way down the east coast to spend a summer with Wycliffe. I may not know exactly where the Lord is leading me, but I know for sure that He is preparing me for something bigger than myself--something beyond my wildest imaginations.

Wycliffe hosted a week-long event, Wycliffe Connection, here last week. The purpose of this event is to assist Wycliffe staff who have served abroad to transition back into life here in the States. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet a family who served for many years in Malaysia. They initially served in Sabah, and later moved to Penang.

As I was chatting with them over lunch, I found out so much about the need in Malaysia that I had never known before. The need for translated Scripture in East Malaysia and the need among the Orang Asli (indigenous people groups) are just so overwhelming. I also found out from the Ethnologue that there are 137 living languages in Malaysia.

At this moment, I paused, and thought to myself, 137 languages? I thought there are only 5. Suddenly, the place that I grew up in and that which I call home suddenly seems so foreign to me. Living in the comfort of my bubble in KL has rendered me oblivious to the needs of those around me. And I am sure that I am not alone in this.

I know God has brought me here for a reason, and He is equipping me for something bigger than myself. But it's indeed baffling to realise that the Lord has to take me all the way here to realise the need at home.

Category:

0 comments:

Post a Comment