OSI Orientation Week

So, I have finally managed to get Internet access and update this blog! I was going to make it a point to blog everyday, but unfortunately not having Internet access at the place that we stay does not allow me to do that.

But anyway, first week of OSI was intense, but it was also a blast. I arrived at Orlando, Florida last Sunday (June 6) at around 10pm. Tracy Tooley from Wycliffe picked me up from the airport and took me to our home for the next two and a half months. Our house is luxurious! (Well, for a college student, that is). I have the smallest room in the house, but that is fine because I have a room to myself, which is something that I have not had in awhile.

Orientation week kicked off with a day-long Explore Wycliffe session with Trevor and Patrick from the headquarters of Wycliffe International in Texas. We got to know in a little bit more about the ministry that Wycliffe is doing and explore the entire process of Bible translation work. And I thought that all you need to translate the Bible is pen, paper (or computer), and a dictionary... Well, apparently not!

The next day, we went over the rules and guidelines of the internship and we had some ice-breakers to get everyone warmed up. We really got warmed up, as we were running and leaping by the lake on Wycliffe's campus under the hot Floridian summer sun. But I felt like we really got to know each other better through the activities. Our task for the night is to go grocery shopping with our housemates and make dinner together. I must say that that is by far the hardest task ever. But, we made it!

On Wednesday, we went out on a scavenger hunt around Orlando so that we can familiarise ourselves with the area. It was really nice not having to do intense physical activity, but instead to drive around in a car. I know that I am truly a city girl through and through. Anyway, the good news: my team won the scavenger hunt! After that, we went for lunch at Durian Durian, a Thai restaurant owned by a Malaysian. No, they do not serve durian, very much to my disappointment.

On Thursday, we were taken to Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure and we spent more than 12 hours there. For once, I actually went on all the available rides in the theme park. And I thought I wasn't going to survive the first roller coaster ride... It was fun, and most of all, I am glad we got to spend some time together before we all start working in different departments. Pictures are available on my Facebook page for your viewing pleasure.

On Friday, Gary Petersen from Wycliffe took all of us interns on a tour of the offices. I got to see the wonderful Integrated Marketing Communications Department in which I will be working for the summer. I must say that it is the coolest department in the entire organisation. Dark with yellow spotlights, cool colourful blackboards and smart boards. Pictures coming soon!

One thing that I am definitely learning after this first week is to live with people. The 12 of us interns are placed in such close proximity that interaction is inevitable, and with that comes conflicts too. We are not only living under one roof, but we are also sharing our lives and our finances. This is definitely going to be a challenge. Do pray that I may be teachable and that I may be loving towards the people around me.

Well, here's a summary of my first week of OSI! I will be starting actual office work coming Monday. Do remember me in your prayers. Oh, and do leave comments here or questions, if you have any. You will hear from me soon!

Category:

0 comments:

Post a Comment